Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where to start?

For quite some time I have found myself in quiet the dilemma. I didn't know where to begin my learning when it came to my "born again" interests in the pagan path, to be non-specific. And I don't mean to be specific because my interests have been over spirituality over-all! I find something beautiful and compelling about even non-pagan paths.

In my mind, it's like, I was brought up around a catholic environment, but I saw beyond the biblical scriptures. I saw the mysticism behind the incense burning, the bread and the wine… and during Christmas, the four white candles and that ONE purple candle (or was it vice versa)… And aside from the religion there was always grandma… and her wonderful little herb garden. Or in my grandmother's case… 4 lemon trees, 2 lime trees, 2 avocados, a mango, a peach, a prune, tomato gardens I planted myself :), guava trees… then there was aloe vera (savila), chamomile(manzanilla), peppermint(yerba buena), hemp (I never made the connection of it actually being marijuana.. all I knew was grandma was secretive about  growin it, and she stuffed those leaves in bottles of alcohol and let them sit, and it was like a tincture. She would rub it on her knees for arthritis, and thats pretty much all it was for.) And OMG it would drive me mad when my grandma would drive me around the town hunting down good looking eucalyptus trees… So I could run out and grab some perfectly green leaves. (-__-) I grew up around two grandmothers who had teas and herbal remedies they swore up and down was a family secret recipe against a certain ailment(its on the internet g-ma!), and boiling pots and the smell of sage in the background. And why is it that I have weird aunts that are always showing off how authentic and big and beautiful their "molcajete" is?!?

   "Look hears my room, bathroom, kitchen… oh, and this is my beautifully decorated mortar, which i just crushed some fresh blah blah blah in the other day to make some blah blah blah!"… always… without fail.

As Catholic the most "religious" of all always was the most superstitious… Don't ever go inside a circle of mushrooms cause the evil will take you? wtf? Sound at all familiar to faery rings, though not in a sense evil? Break a mirror you get seven years of bad luck? Don't walk under ladders… Don't wear red on your period… Wear tiger's eye to protect from the evil eye. If a baby is touched by the evil I the mother must crack an egg into a bowl and place 4 toothpicks in the bowl and place the bowl under the crib, in the morning if the sticks and the yolk have arranged themselves to form a perfect EYE, the hex is gone, if not the same thing must be repeated the following nights until the eye appears… to cure a flu with a bad fever… swallow one garlic clove with a teaspoon of olive oil,  and drink some chamomile tea, and grandma gave you some special stomach massage, and you were set. And growing up, all these things fascinated me!

So now to the point! Finally right? haha. I for a time wasn't exactly sure in which direction I wanted to take my further advancement in my spiritual path. Quite honestly, there is still a lot more I would like to learn about other religions, but the fact of the matter is… that I'm not looking for religion. I am an earth child, and I am  looking to become more attuned to  my inner self and the earth around me. Through hiking, geocaching, gardening, and learning more about herbs, crystals, and gems and all their both healing and magical properties.

So I am starting with herbs… with which in time will come the making of oils, incenses, sachets, brews. Since we are in a fairly new apartment, I can practice by learning protective mixes and  using them in my home. Ive got Scott Cunningham's The Magical Household, and the Complete Book of Incense, Oils, & Brews to help me along in my learning.

I finally got my Wicca: A Year and a Day! Cause what more to get in tune with your green self then traditional Wicca! I shall set out on a hunt for my 1st 30 days of tools next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment